Although it’s never the topic of a social conversation, earwax is a completely natural occurrence. Many of us tend to associate it with being dirty, but its purpose is actually to protect our ears and keep them clean. Earwax traps dust and other small particles to prevent them from reaching and potentially damaging or infecting the eardrum. Everyone produces earwax, but the amounts and types are actually determined by genetics.
While earwax is natural to our bodies, smaller ear canals may make it difficult for the wax to get out of the canal, which can lead to wax impactions. Blockage or impaction occurs when the wax gets pushed deep inside the ear canal. It’s one of the most common ear problems that doctors see, and it’s usually caused by Q-tips or other objects that are used to remove superficial wax, but push the rest of the wax into the ear canal. (If you own a box of Q-tips, take notice of the warning on the side, cautioning users not to place Q-tips in their ears.)
Ear infections are often a result of a bacterial or viral infection, causing inflammation and a buildup of fluids in the middle ear. They often clear up on their own, but they can be very painful while they heal. Doctors often suggest the use of medication to help with the pain. If you tend to stay away from prescriptions and prefer a more natural approach to pain management and healing, there is in fact a home remedy that can help you manage ear infections as well as ear wax build-up. Using only two natural ingredients, you can help break down the blockage in your ears to assist them on their way to healing. Here’s how to do it:
- Olive Oil – to soften and remove buildup
- Garlic Oil – to destroy bacteria
- Warm up 2-3 tablespoons of pure olive oil, in order to make it easier to drain. The temperature should be close to that of your body temperature, which is 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Blockages in the ear can trap bacteria, leading to an infection. An essential oil such as garlic oil can be used to destroy the bacteria. Make sure that the essential oil you are using doesn’t irritate your skin in any way.
- Add 4 drops of the garlic oil or essential oil to the warm olive oil.
- Stir and use an eyedropper to retrieve some of the mixture.
- Apply a few drops to the ear while tilting your head to one side.
- Allow the mix to soak the earwax for about 5-10 minutes.
- Use on the infected ear or both ears if needed.
You may need to repeat the procedure 2-3 times daily in order to see results. The blockage will be broken up and the earwax will be dissolved. You should feel relief within a few days. Our ears are capable of cleaning out on their own, but if you are in pain from an ear infection or feel there is too much earwax buildup in your ears, this is a natural remedy to help with the problem. Always consult your doctor to get a proper diagnosis if needed.